I talk a lot about the benefits of having spiritual practice to other women, especially mamas and I wanted to pop in today and tell you how it's changed my life since I incorporated mine into my daily routine almost two years ago now.
My daily spiritual practice is a chance for me to get some alone time, some self-care time. As a stay at home mom this is a non-negotiable. I spend 10-30 minutes every morning doing my daily spiritual practice. Now this looks different every day. It all depends on once I tune in and ask myself "What do I need today?" and then I go from there. Some days I have a lot on my mind and I need to journal, other times I'm looking for clarity or guidance and I pull an oracle card, or two, or three. Lately I've also been adding kundalini yoga into the mix.
Below are just a few of the benefits I receive everyday:
1. It keeps me calm and grounded throughout the day. I live with 2 toddlers, they aren't always the easiest people to deal with during the day, their mood swings are all over the place, and by sitting in meditation first thing in the morning I'm able to stay grounded and calm later without getting caught up into their emotional storm. This is also extremely helpful for those of you who might consider yourself an empath or highly sensitive person like me.
2. It strengthens my intuition. This allows me to feel into my body and how it reacts to things. Thinking about a career change or a big move? See how your body reacts to it when you think about it. Does it make you nervous or excited? You intuition is your literal compass guiding you along your life's journey.
3. It clears my mind. We live in a chaotic world, with information coming at us from all angles. By sitting quietly in reflection or meditation I'm able to tune it all out. And therefore feel less stressed and anxious!
4. I keeps me focused on my goals. For as long as I remember I've been a planner. My husband laughs at me that I get so much joy out of making check lists, but here's a little trick I've picked up along my journey. At the beginning of every year (or lunar cycle, doesn't matter when you start) I write down goals for myself that I want to achieve on little pieces of paper, and put them in a jar. Each morning during my daily practice I pick one out and picture myself achieving it. You can call this manifesting, spell casting, visualization, a mindset shift, whatever you want. But it actually helps me manifest and obtain my goals! It also reminds me to stay on my course, taking small actions every day until I see my goals achieved.
5. I learn to let it go. Depending on what I'm dealing with at the moment and how much time I have, I write in my journal. I've kept a journal for as long as I can remember and it's such a therapeutic release for me. When you write down all the drama and emotions you're dealing with it actually releases the energy from your body. You put it all out there and feel much better afterwards. So I use my time to get out any emotional baggage I might have had from the day before, so I can then start my day fresh and ready to begin anew.
I would love to hear from you what you like to include in your daily spiritual practice, and other benefits you receive from yours.
If you don't have a spiritual practice already, what's the biggest obstacle you face to creating one?